Saturday 22 August 2009

Ubuntu Karmic alpha4 - 1st impressions

2 months before the release of Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" (due 29th October), I am trying out the alpha 64-bit live CD on my advent 9112 laptop.

I have to tell you I am MIGHTILY impressed.

First linux distro that has recognised my rf (wireless) switch.
And palimpsest gave me a warning about my failing hard drive.
Time to run captain spinrite methinks.

My keyboard was incorrectly recognised as us... but that gave me my first look at the keyboard settings app. A thing of beauty. Dunno if that's new to karmic?
Anyways I would stake my mortgage on the keyboard layout being correct if I choose to install this to disk......

.... and do you know what? I am going to, because this just feels RIGHT.

congrats and thanks to everyone involved!

No comments: